Animal Rescue Program is one of the units of the Cikananga Foundation . Aims to assist the government in an effort to rescue and conserve Indonesian wildlife and the habitat and also to encourage and enhance the efforts of law enforcement towards animal rescue. In the activities Cikananga Animal Rescue accommodates, trains and cares for the confiscated animal from the community who then released to the wild.
The facilities which are built to keep and manage the animals include: cages, pens, aviaries, free-runs, ponds, etc. In 2001 Cikananga Wildlife Center built 114 animal facilities, growing to 165 facilities in 2002, to 450 in 2003, and to around 550 at present. Of these facilities, only 25% was constructed by hired contractors, the remaining 75% was supervised by Cikananga Wildlife Center and constructed by the local community.
1. Animal clinic
2. Carnivore pens
3. Primate socialization cages
4. Pre-release pens of water birds
5. Pre-release pens of bird of prey
6. Turtle ponds
8. Pre-release pens of crocodile
9. Aves cages
10. Breeding area
12. Isolation room
13. Necropsy room
The main activity of Cikananga Animal Rescue is to provide for facilities and man power to facilitate confiscated wild animals and re-introduction to their habitats.
Other activities include rescuing of wild animals, maintaining of wild animals which are evidence for law suits, rehabilitation of wildlife, conservation awareness and education programs, conservation and wildlife trainings, and Awareness & Education programs.
Wildlife Re-introduction Programs
Several re-introduction and release programs have been carried out following IUCN guidelines, including for species such as; Dusky Pademelon, Green Peafowl, Estuarine Crocodile, Javan Slow Loris, Pig-nosed Turtle, waterbirds, sea turtles, raptors, snakes, and other small mammals. Species such as orangutans, gibbons, macaques, Siamang and Proboscis Monkey have been relocated to specialized rehabilitation centers.