January 2014, Report of Black-winged Starling Monitoring
- The starlings depend very much to the food supply for their main food. Eventhough they wander around quite far (to 300-400 m around the food supply) they will come back if they need to eat.
- A lot of eagles was observed soaring near the area of the starlings.
- Some birds may already pair up. The possible pairs visit different nestboxes and bring nest materials. An egg was found, but no chick was observed.
- The starlings start to eat other food than the supplied food, such as coconut flowers and fruits, melinjo fruits, and ground insects.
- There are competition over natural resources of food with another birds and small mammals, but the starlings are not really affected by other species eating the same food with them.
- Only two birds was not observed in this session. These birds may wander to the swamp area inaccessible to observe, because there are sightings near the nestboxes in the swamp area.